Case Study 6: Change Management
Large space technology company specializing in manufacturing communication; Earth observation, radar, and on-orbit-servicing satellites; satellite products; and related services.
This development-heavy client wanted to provide more centralized services to development teams that were compliant with existing company resources, without reducing the velocity of existing teams.
The client suspected there was a great deal of duplicative work efforts being done by the various teams. ViTL was challenged to streamline the process into consumable “chunks” and to develop an internal CI/CD pipeline-as-a-service.
Additionally, the client did not have hard data on their potential customers or what the customers wanted.
The ViTL team approached this as a customer service/service maturity project, with the goal being to help the internal client team do the following:
- Succinctly describe the product offering(s) they had.
- Assess the current UX for existing customers.
- Create a map of new potential customers through the combination of in-person
outreach to team leads as well as a comprehensive survey
- Document current and potential customer needs.
- Design a repeatable framework that the internal product team could leverage.
- ViTL developed documentation strategies and standards that the internal CI/CD team could adopt to describe their product and that defined additional products the company was developing.
- We performed UX interviews with existing customers in order to gather information on desired capabilities.
- Developed and deployed a Community of Practice, leveraged the community, and conducted surveys in order to understand new potential customers and their desires across the organization.
- Worked within the client’s existing agile planning software and developed a mature service release model.
The client adopted the new service maturity and rollout model developed by the ViTL team, allowing them to expand the use of the CI/CD service offering.